The Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management (OFMEM) amended the 2007 Fire Code with approximately 120 technical changes.
Below are some of the highlights of the regulation as identified on their website:
- a new section in Part 5 that applies to hot surface applications typically used in roofing operations; the new section was developed in response to a tragic fire in Listowel, Ontario, that resulted in the death of two firefighters in 2011;
- new fire safety planning requirements for buildings with a contained use area or impeded egress zone; the new requirements are introduced in response to recommendations made during a 2009 inquest into the death of two persons who died as a result of a fire while temporarily detained by the Nishnawbe-Aski Police Service;
- new requirements for double-wall construction for flammable and combustible liquid storage tanks and piping systems to harmonize with requirements in the NFC and other provincial regulations;
- a relocation of code requirements to more closely align the structure of the Fire Code with that of the NFC; and
- references to more current editions of standards and other documents.
Click here for all the details.